A pretty random set of models today – a set of three Moose that I picked up some time ago from one of the Bad Squiddo Kickstarters, along with my Viking Shieldmaidens and various othermodels. I don’t recall if these were part of the campaign itself or part of the “buy some extra stuff from the store at a special price” thing, but I guess it really doesn’t matter at this point in time.
In a story that’s no doubt quite familiar to readers of this blog, I was looking for something else and found these in a tub, cleaned and with base texture putty applied and nothing else. So I decided to get these three models done and out of the way – so I glued and greenstuffed the antlers onto the daddy moose, primed all three, and then set to taking slightly longer than I wanted in order to get them completed. Though it was at least fairly quick. Now that they’re done, I have no idea what I’ll be doing with them – but they’re finished and can go onto a shelf and then be put away for whatever instance in future I may decide that I need a moose or three for the table… perhaps as Elk for background to some Viking gaming…?
For the size comparison, none of my Shieldmaidens were available, being put away in a figure case, and Berkeley and her chainsaw seemed the wrong kind of model to put with these three, so enjoy this Wood Elf – which is probably one of the only in-lore kinds of models that would be able to skip past some Moose/Elk without seriously disturbing them anyway!
Here’s the last of my Panzer grey Stug IIIs – a single platoon of the Ausf.F variants, upgunned with the longer 7.5 cm StuK 40 L/43 gun. As with the previous Stugs and Panzer II’s I also added in a unit commander’s head in an open hatch taken from a PSC spare. I also forgot to mention in those previous posts that all 15 of these tanks have had some simply milliput stowage added to them following the modelling/assembly phase.
Once again, these were painted using the same methods as the Panzer IIs and the previously-shown batch of Stug III Es. They were all batch-painted together for the “big” elements, and then finished in sequential batches, though using the same techniques and weathering style. The numbers on this platoon fit in with the Es, though I did change the style of balkenkruz to a slightly later version – though both types were still common across one another so they do both work together in the same units and force.
These models are from Battlefront, and are resin and metal models. Unfortunately, the metal main guns were just really bent and warped to the point where I was really unhappy with them. Luckily, I had some spare Stug cannons in my bits box that both matched the supplied metal ones, with the correct mantlets and muzzle brakes, so I did a small amount of surgery and was able to add in these nice, straight plastic weapons to the vehicles.
In the Iron Cross force lists, Flames of War allows for up to two platoons of Stugs which can either be the short-barreled Es or these longer-barreled Fs.
To give myself flexibility (and to use all of the early-model Stug models I’d purchased) I painted all three with the same grey scheme – of course, I’m not planning to worry about tournaments or anything of the like (though I do like to use force lists as a guide to my painting and modelling) so I’ll be quite happy to play (or play against) all three units on the table at once.