My last Fembruary model today (though not quite my last February model to share) – a Wood Elf Waywatcher, released alongside the Warhammer Armies: Wood Elf sourcebook in 2007. A Gary Morley sculpt, the technique is competent, but the sculpt itself is a bit of an overdetailed but indistinct mess – full of “wait.. what is THAT supposed to be?”-type details, which frankly make the model notsomuch fun to paint. As you can see, it’s a complete mess of “visual noise” up close, but given the four-foot test, it looks fine. So I’ll call that a “good enough” win.
Just one Waywatcher, you ask? Yep. This one was a model selected to represent Marouda’s Elven archer in a long-gone, lightweight but decent fun but, low-effort, kill-and-loot pathfinder “campaign”. We didn’t get all that far, and the “long-gone part is probably the biggest reason why the model never got completed – and Fembruary is the reason that it now finally did get completed. I’ve got a few more of these somewhere, but they’re not likely to see the painting desk until we get back into the swing of something like Kings of War or AoS again. I’d like to do so this year, but there’s a lot of cleaning and clearing and culling to do first…
Sure, they’re not a set of models that placed highly in the pre-February poll, but they’re something I did need to get done – Zombicide is one of those evergreen games that we play around here, and as I’ve slowly been working my way through the survivors (and zombvivors!) and the Fancy types of zombie fatties, it was time to get the basic ones done. This month being February, it made sense to concentrate on the Fembruary challenge set of them first, and so we have this set of ten models. They weren’t as fun as some of the others I’ve painted, due to the limits of only two sculpts, both wearing pretty similar dresses (and me not wanting to bother to go to town on them with repeating dress patterns and such) – but they’re now (finally) done and will be a regular feature on the table from here on in. Now I’ve still got the eight male ones, which have a slightly better/more flexible sculpt to paint in interesting ways – but there’s only the one sculpt!
Oh, and to make a point on the whole Contrast vs Speedpaint thing – here’s my “first draft” with these the other week, using Contrast. Didn’t like how they came out. The black, blue and green ones were immediately painted over with normal acrylics. The red and yellow ones were overpainted with acrylics to make them look decent. No waiting, no varnishing needed. Also, the skin tones are made from thinned contrasts, and in most cases, multiple layers of thinned contrasts to give mixed purple-over-green and green-over-brown (etc) tones. Again, wait to dry, no varnish, no reactivation. At this point, these are pretty much exclusively the ways I use Contrast paints – very rarely does the “official” way of one thick undiluted coat “and done” work for me on anything.