Kings of War: Vanguard – Battlefield Objectives Runestones/Standing Stones

Mantic Games Kings of War: Vanguard – Battlefield Objectives Runestones/Standing Stones

I did manage to paint a small amount of actual terrain in August – I managed to leverage Dave Stone’s Season of Scenery Challenge enough to get me to finish this set of 12 Runestone/Standing Stones/Menhirs. I painted them in greys and then added both browns and greens via both paint and weathering powders to give them some visual interest by representing dirt, moss and other outdoorsy muck

Mantic Games Kings of War: Vanguard – Battlefield Objectives Runestones/Standing Stones

Or perhaps they’re better described as two sets of six? Here you can see both sides of each of the three sculpts. The interesting thing is I can’t for the life of me remember where they came from. I mean, it’s pretty obvious that they came from a Kicjstarter, especially since they’re made from PVC. It’s the pretty good PVC that CMoN tends to use, rather than the cheap, sticky, garbage PVC often used by Mantic or Reaper, but I’m still not sure where they came from. I did check the campaign pages for HATE, Blood Rage and even Mantic’s Terraincrate, but couldn’t see them in any of those, which doesn’t mean I didn’t just miss seeing them… but if you recognise these, please do let me know in the comments and I’ll be able to amend the post title. 🙂

edit – thanks to Kuribo who recognised them from Mantic’s Kings of War Vanguard Kickstarter – so they’re Terrain Crate-adjacent. Here’s the current bundle that they’re available from at retail.

Mantic Games Kings of War: Vanguard – Battlefield Objectives Runestones/Standing Stones

My Vikings are a tad inaccessable to me at the moment, so Kirashi kindly helped me by grabbing some Barbarian types to pose with the stones and provide scale. As with a lot of other scatter, these are pretty versatile for use in both fantasy and historical games, as well as the more fantastic side of sci-fi, such as 40k… There’s a little more of August’s stuff to post up yet, which I should get done over the next week or so.

Kill Team: Pariah Nexus – Necron “Barrels” and “Crates”

Kill Team: Pariah Nexus - Necron "Barrels"

Today I have some scatter terrain of sorts from the recent Boxed Kill Team expansion of “Pariah Nexus”. Truth be told these are pretty uninspiring little bits and I doubt I would even have gotten started on them if not for the fact that marouda and I decided to have a game of Assasinorum: Execution Force the other week. Having bought this particular Games Workshop boxed game back on release in 2015 for its intended purpose (discount model delivery system for the new plastic Assassin models), I’d never actually gotten around to playing it. In fact, while the Chaos Space Marines had actually been painted, the cultists had been put away in with other platic cultist sprues and the actual Assassins and Chaos Lord/Socreror frame had all been “lost” until I happened to find them by chance this week while cleaning up under the paint desk.

So it was metal Assassins, both completed and part-painted, Chaos Space Marines, A half-painted Iron Warrior hero in Terminator Armour, and a selection of metal Imperial/Chaos Cultists and WarZone Dark Legion zombified troopers who were selected. And with a “fuck this, I’m not reading new rules at 9pm, let’s go inside and play Far Cry for an hour and we can get back to this tomorrow night or the day after.” – that led me to select some bits that had broken loose from the Pariah nexus sprue to quickly paint to fill the red-square impassable space spots on the Execution Force board. if you’ve played Imperial Assault, you’ll know them well.

Kill Team: Pariah Nexus - Necron "Crates"

So with that, I quickly knocked out 7 or 8 of the single-square crates and barrels in an evening and part of a morning. Being of unlimited creativity, I followed the box art, since I would like them to fit in with the actual Pariah Nexus board, and even in these green tones they fit the board art of Execution Force pretty well. Since the first batch was pretty easy, I clipped a second bunch off a few days later and then also forced myself to knock them out as well. They’re pretty easy, but also pretty tedious to do. Mostly drybrushed, with the metal picked out and washed, and the crystals painted in VMC Ivory with Citadel Tesseract Glow over the top. That’s the newer Contrast paint that’s sold as part of their technical paint line so they can sell you a smaller pot of it.

Kill Team: Pariah Nexus - Necron "Barrels" and "Crates"

I’ve got a few (17) more of these to go, and then there are four doors from the set. Then there’s another entire set of two sprues, so I’m still trying to decide if I should paint the second set identically, so they’re all one nice consistent set, or if I should paint the second set in copper-brass tones – which would basically match the “New” official GW Necron colour scheme – that coincidently is pretty much exactly how I’d always pictured painting my own Necrons instead of T-800-silver – but never got around to doing any.

Oh, and this is another set of model bits for Ann’s second annual “Paint the Crap You Already Own!” challenge…