Funny how some models look dated quickly, and some sculpts endure, isn’t it? My models today were sitting here half-painted for several years, got restarted recently in a failed attempt to complete more models for Roger from Under the Wargames Table‘s recent “Mo’vember” painting challenge and then re-restarted after playing a bit of Vermintide II over the Christmassy break. I’ve always loved Michael Perry’s line of goat-headed beastman/beastmen models, initially sculpted and released in the mid-1990’s. That Bray Shaman still holds up really well today, I think – all the more for the fact that he’s not balancing on one leg on a tactical rock, thrusting a staff towards the heavens with sculpted flames coming out of his …nose.
I can only say it’s both a shame and a wonder that I haven’t painted more of these models, whether it’s the old-school metals, the more recent plastics (a pair of “eBay rescue repaints” seen here), or the newset Age of Sigmar versions that have come out alongside releases for things Like Warhammer Underpants: Beastgrave and the like. Something I’ll really have to rectify in 2022, I reckon. Oh, I also forgot to paint in the eyeball gems on the staff-hand-skull. I’ve since fixed that! These models are also submitted within the window for Dave Stone’sPaint What You Got challenge. Something definitely worth checking out and participating in if you’re interested in giving the extra motivation of a low-stress painting challenge a go!
Finally, I’d also like to take the opportunity to dedicate this post to Rodor and, um D’Rodor Jr, of the blog Rodorhammer, as they are both fans of the Beastmans and their recent post on Christmas Beastmen (or Beastmen for Christmas?) combined with the whole Vermintide II thing and helped motiovate me to get these three completed in the days following Christmas! Saluti, compagni!
I’ve completed the next six Poxwalkers. At this point I need to either find the missing parts from the two other sets I’ve clipped off the sprue, just use the parts I have and go all Wuduast in converting them lightly and get another set ready, or put them aside entirely and sort out a new set and not lose the parts this time. Here they are alongside the Zombicide Orc Abomination from the other day – all the Zombie-ish figures from May’s painting all together, and also shows how well the Abomination would fit in with the Poxwalkers in my Nurgle force, as well as obviously with a Fantasy Undead force.. This works as a scale shot for the Abomination.
For their clothing I’m trying to keep it reasonably logical – at least for those that are wearing clothing or regognisable scraps. In this case it means work pants that match the ones used in the initial bunch, some scraps of a lab coat, and a pair of white over-pants that looked to me like PPE.
I added a little bit of bloodstain to the PPE pants, as well as some trails on the maggots. These really are brilliant sculpts across the board, with subtle details to the point where you can sometimes see that the maggots are supposed to be underneath their skin or clothing. When I see these, I tend to paint them as though they’re on the outside, since the detail is so subtle it just won’t be seen at all otherwise. Though I certainly appreciate it being there.
The poxwalkers that wear more nondescript clothing like loincloths have just continued to get the dark green ones. No point going bright or too different with them, the way I see it. I went more “crusty” with the rust effects on this batch, though I’m sure they’ll still fit in just fine with the first ones.
The rear view of them. I’m not being as creative as Ann is with them all being individually painted – nor as I noted earlier – Wudugast in converting and kitbashing each model – but varying them by each small batch is a happy enough compromise for me.
And lastly, a group shot of my Poxwalkers so far. Not too bad so far, but there’s still a ton more of them to go…