Back in February 2019 I completed the Nightvault Arcane Hazards for Warhammer Underworlds. I picked up this second set of Underworlds terrain shortly after release around September-October 2019 and got started on it pretty quickly. And then, of course, the usual happened and they got put away into a plastic tub, partially painted.
With this year’s Season of Scenery challenge over at Dave Stone’s Wargames Terrain Workshop blog, I decided to finally try to complete this set. As it happened, I got four of the six pieces done in time – as seen above!
The final two didn’t get completed until a few days into September – the draconic skeleton just a little while before posting. The fire effects were finicky to paint, and I’m not especially a fan of things like sculpted flames or smoke at the best of times. I also had to assemble and paint the giant drake skull in bits and pieces, and then use spue goo to combine the two halves of the skull before re-base coating the most of it and then shading & highlighting.
The other annoying part of the large draconic skeleton was the fact that I’ve lost the shoulderblade piece. If I ever find it, I’ll attach and paint it – but bloody annoying! All of the pieces have some form of Contrast used on them, though none used in the “official” way of slapping it onto a basic undercoat.
Since I still haven’t finished an Underworlds Warband, I’ve subbed in some WHFB/AoS models to show scale. Obviously these can also be used in all manner of Fantasy games as well as smaller bits of scatter… just featuring odd hexagonal stone elements.. As it happens, just as I was working on the final elements of these last two pieces, I got a blog notification that The Responsible One had just completed his set of these and has done a great job on them – go check his set out! So it seems that great minds think alike – and so do we!