August 2022 – Personal Painting Round-Up

Why yes, I am aware that I’m writing the August Round-Up on the 18th of September, thanks for caring enough to point that out! As often is the case, getting time to take the photos can be a bit of a roadblock at times, and by “at times” I apparently mean pretty much every month. Not helped I guess by the ever-present backlog of models I seem to gather up by the end of any given month. That’s why I’ve been posting daily with the bits and pieces I’ve gotten finished recently.

Anyway, August was dominated by two main aspects – completing Terrain with Dave’s Season of Scenery challenge and painting more Zombicide figures. In this instance, it was completing the last of my 1st Edition “Standard” Runners and the first half of the 1st Edition Berserker Runners. I’ve got the second half of the Berserker Runners on the painting desk, and they’re even les compelling to paint than the first half was. I’ll be forcing myself to power through those in the next few days. Probably.

The scenic models on show here aren’t all the ones that were finished for Dave’s challenge, but then after finishing the War Cry bridges and Archon steps, I went back and hit them with additional weathering in September – so I’m holding them for my September Round-Up. I also have the start of my War Cry Catacombs terrain with two little bridges. I’m working on more of the stuff from the same set now, so hopefully I’ll get all of the door arches done in September. Maybe I’ll get the spiky wooden palisades done? They’re pretty horrible to paint, though – so those will be something (else) I definitely need to force myself to work on. Yay.

The Warhammer Underworlds Beastgrave terrain bits turned out well. Something else I had to force myself to complete, though again a couple of pieces missed the August deadline, so they’re September models instead. I also got another Endless Spell done from that original Malign Portents set. And yes, I did have to force myself to get that thing done too. I see a bit of a pattern emerging. I’m now hoping to try and get the rest of that set painted before the end of 2022. I give myself about a 50% chance, based on how well I can keep focus and force myself to paint things I’m not especially enjoying (until they’re done – then I’m quite happy with them!)

Well, that’s enough blather from me for tonight. Now that I’m caught up, I can take a break from daily posting and let this one sit for a couple of days while I take advantage of my week off work and finish some new models. The tally above for August is 37 models. I beat my “model a day” target there, and September is well on the way to absolutely smashing it. That 37 added to the 263 I had at the end of July gives me a running total of an even 300 at the end of August. Not too shabby. I wonder if I’ll be able to crack 500+ by the end of the year?

July 2022 – Personal Painting Round-Up

Today we have the July Round-Up! Somehow July appears to have been quite a productive month for my painting, with a few “sets” of things completed.

These were largely painted “across” each other’s painting  sessions, as I typically flit from one project to another, so I’ll just list them in no particular order. The first of these is the beginning of my Mid-War Eastern Front German force, with 9 StuG III assault guns and 6 Panzer IIs – though many of these could also be used in Western Europe well before Barbarossa, so when this force is completed it might possibly also work for an Early Ear force if I remove the later elements and Panzer variants.

I also painted up the entirety of Massive Darkness II’s 3D “Hellscape” pack – 22 pieces of boardgame token, most of which could be used as scatter terrain or detail deco in various wargames. Following that I also painted two Bridges from the same game, though it still leaves a pile of other similar 3d terrain junk yet to paint of course – that stuff never ends!

I also got started on the finishing of my second Blood Bowl team – my Khemri-inspired Undead, getting the Ghouls and the “cross-bench” Zombies finished. Still lots more players to go before that team’s completed, though!

I had one more Zombicide Survivor that just missed the June line, so he was seen quiote some time ago. I kinda needed a break from painting Survivors (and Zombvivors, and so decided to paint half of my Runners from the core set. The 12 models sat on the desk for quiiite some time until I finally forced myself to get then done over a weekend, and I’m actually pretty happy with them in that context – boardgame kill-fodder that now looks a hell of a lot better than the formerly-grey plastic! This just left me with the second dozen Runners to have all of them done – or so I thought….

As I’d enjoyed working on the Minotaur and Mordor Troll in previous months, I decided to paint a model sitting in my Ogre pile, the RPE “Ice Troll”, and followed that up by forcing myself to complete a very old C23 Ogre Warrior Priest. I also kept chipping away at the Last Chancers by finishing another pair of them – after Animal who got completed just over the June/July line, like Derek from Zombicide, mentioned above.

…and then on the final day of the month, I managed to complete the War Oliphant from the Journeys in Middle-Earth board game. All up, I managed to finish off 57 models in the month, ranging from detailed characer infantry to some throwaway-tier boardgame stuff to some actually quite nice boardgame stuff to 15mm armour. I’m pretty happy with that effort – both in scope and quantity (and even quality, generally speaking!) Combining July’s 57 to the 206 up to the end of June gives me 263 models painted at July’s close. Not bad, but of course, still lots to go!