As I noted the other day, I was looking through some containers of models in December and found the Zombicide Crowz – in that same container, I found the Vegepygmies and Batiri Goblins – from the Tomb of Annihilation D&D board game, and decided to put in the (small) amount of required effort to get them painted up!
As someone who’s really not a D&D player, I’m only vaguely familiar with a lot of their monsters – and I also have to assume that some D&D monsters are tied to some specific settings/worlds, but I also understand that a lot of people’s actual campaigns feature a mix of whatever the DM feels like throwing in at the time. Anyway, that’s a long-winded way of simply stating that I’d never heard of either of these races. The colourful one of these Vegepygmies is the Chief!
The three Batiri Goblins all had the same sculpt, so I just painted their decoration featuring different colours. It won’t have any gameplay effect other than perhaps “move the goblin two spaces closer – yeah, the red one”.
You can see here that they’re all pretty small. I’ve got them here next to a Khorne Bloodbound from AoS and a D&D Nolzur’s Dragonborn – and even a 15mm Flames of War model. Allowing for the variation in base sizes, you can see just how small these models are. Still, they’re done and we’re one step (or seven small steps!) closer to playing Tomb of Annihilation!
…I really need to finish off the last models from the Drizzt game so we can play it this year!
I just wish these titles could get longer. There is still a point to these long, unweildy blog post titles, though – and that’s so they can be found via a google search. After all, a lot of these models’ primary purpose ends up simply being painted models on the internet, as I paint a wide variety of models and don’t get to play any of the games they go with nearly as often as I’d like to – and so in order to give the models a longer online “shelf” life than the little bump of regular readers once the post goes up, it’s also important to ensure that they can be easily found using a google image search. That applies whether it’s a detailed paint job that’s taken me weeks to get finished, or something siomple like these models that were largely drybrushed over the course of a single afternoon.
The trade-off, then, is generally not being able to use amusing puns for post titles as I used to do, as a lot of my fellow bloggers still do (and I do enjoy that lowest form of comedy myself!). I guess I should talk about the paint process… Uh.. after some cleanup/mold line removal, I mounted these on 50mm bases, added a bunch of slate chips around the eges to blend in a little with the rocks that surround the models, painted dark grey and then drybrushed both up with browns and greys. They then got toned with Green Stuff World’s Liquid Pigments – one in green and the oither brown, and then finally both drybrushed again with light grey and finally white on the highest points to desturate them and tone the pigments back down.
The transparent crystals were masked with blu-tac (poster putty to some of you) and then painted with Green Contrast paint, and after the matte varnish of the entire model gloss varnished by brush. Eyes were simply painted in, red over yellow, though you can barely see them in most circumstances due to the hunched posture. That’s really the majority of the work. After all, we’re talking about a pair of cheap & cheerful PVC models meant for tabletop use.
Good old Berkeley provides us with the scale shot, as is usual, and we have another two minor monsters completed for this month’s Monster MAYhem challenge!