Realm of Chaos: Age of Sigmar Khorne Bloodreavers #3

Age of Sigmar Khorne Bloodreavers

Okay! We’re done with Shadows of Brimstone and Reaper figures for the time being – it’s time for some other stuff! I’ll start with this foursome of Khorne Bloodreavers from the first Age of Sigmar starter set – after all, with the third edition just out, it’s time for me to get painting on the models from the first edition boxed set – because I’m nothing if not riding along the bleeding edge of GW’s new releases, am I? These four were started… I dunno. A couple of years ago at the very least, and there wasn’t really much done on them, either. Even though there’s only four of them, they’ve been one of the many small groups of models that I’ve had sitting around for ages, just needing to have some reason to be prioritised for the week or so of dipping in and out that it’d take for me to get them finished. The Black Templars were the same deal – and I’ve got lotys of other little groups like this, many of Space Marines or Chaos Marines, but also Savage Orcs, Space Orks, Zombicide survivors, and so on and on it goes.

Age of Sigmar Khorne Bloodreavers

As far as the scheme goes, it’s pretty much in line with the official GW box-art scheme, which in turn is pretty much in line with “Classic Khorne” going right back to the Slaves to Darkness volume of Realm of Chaos from 1988. So… that’s my touchstone, and I’m happy to stick with it. I’ve seen some really nice, and to be honest, much more realistic takes on these guys onine – and they look bloody nice, but for my own models – it’s that classic Slaves to Darkness look, and I’m good with that.

Age of Sigmar Khorne Bloodreavers, Blood Warrior

I also did a litlte bit of touchup on the Bloodreaver leader that I painted some time ago – as well as a Blood Warrior both of which I painted for use in games of Gorechosen. There’s also the model I converted from a plastic Shieldwolf Shieldmaiden and Bloodreaver parts, but she’s still in the touchup garage right now, so she’ll have a cameo once she’s ready to come out. I’m not counting these touchups of recent models in my monthly total, though. I should do some more of those, actually…

Reaper Bones Black 44080: Carnotaurus, 44068: Hornslasher (Monster MAYhem ’21)

Reaper Bones Black 44080: Carnotaurus, 44068: Hornslasher

I managed to get a second model completed to show today, so this post is a two-fer instead of a single. Not super surprising really, as they’re both pretty simple Dinosaur models from Reaper’s Bones Black Line and so are very straightforward to paint up – the Carnotaurus and Hornslasher – both of which I’m again submitting for the Monster MAYhem, painting challenge.

Reaper Bones Black 44080: Carnotaurus

Bones black has the same detail issue that most of these cheap PVC models have, in that fine detail isn’t friends with it. On the other hand, paint actually adheres to it, and it doesn’t become horrible and sticky, nor does it require arcane combinaitons of paints and special lotions to prime the stuff. So, you know, I can live with it – even if it does mean you want to avoid looking too closely at things like talons and claws!

Reaper Bones Black 44080: Carnotaurus, 44081: Raptor, 50153: Berkeley, Zombie Survivor

I got the Carnotaurus cleaned up and based alongside the Raptors the other day, and then while working on other models took a few days to work out which would be green and which would be a warm brown. They’re based in the same manner, so they can both menace Chainsaw Lass or whoever else is on the table – and possibly even the Uncanny X-Men one day in the Savage Land?

Reaper Bones Black 44068: Hornslasher

The model I got done today is this thing – “Hornslasher”, which has a bit of a look of a sail-less Dimetrodon. I decided to paint it up as a proto-croc (I know it doesn’t look like any of the actual proto-crocs, but, y’know, sue me!)

Reaper Bones Black 44068: Hornslasher

I mostly did it so I could put it on the same style of base as the Dire Croc from the other day, so I’ve got another model ready to go for swampy encounters. I painted this one in lighter shades of green and tan, and also gave this one a “dirt” wash of weathering powder using Pledge One Go (AKA Future Floor Wax). I feel like this one – as my “second go” actually has more accurate croc colours than the Dire Crocodile, though I probably should have used the same mix of light and dark powders. This technique practise and reflection of course is one of the biggest values and most useful aspects of models like these.

Reaper Bones Black 44068: Hornslasher, 77670: Dire Crocodile, 50153: Berkeley, Zombie Survivor

Here’s the two swampy, bitey bois together, once again featuring Chainsaw Lass for scale. You can also see that I gave the croc’s mouth a bit of a repaint from the super-bright red that it had earlier. I do think it looks nicer now.

(Hopefully) more monsters tomorrow! I’ve got a half-dozen different models that I might be able to get finished by the last of the month…