Another shift in gears for today’s post – we have the first of my Blackstone Fortress models painted – UR-025, the “Man of Iron“. No prizes for guessing why I went with something other than the “official” scheme, nor where I took inspiration from. As it happens, the Red, Gold and Black also work well to fit in with old UR’s cover story of Mechanicus/Mechanicum allegiance.
I started this model over a year ago, but being a newer GW model it’s one that kinda wants to be painted in sub-assemblies, which sucks for a board game model. Unfortunately, while trying to get in there behind his right arm, I ended up snapping the whole arm off – which did wonders for my enthusiasm.
At that pont, it ended up being one of those models that just sits on the paint desk for months and months, glaring at me while I glare back at them. So when I finished (or paused) my recent hardcore run of painting Zombies and Zombicide models, I decided to get this damned thing finished finally – along with a few other models that will be shown in the next few posts.
I do have another of this sculpt, and so when I get around to painting it I may well go with the “official” version as an alternate. For now, I’m happy to have completed this model and we’re one closer to being able to one day actually play Blackstone Fortress! Being a model that’s been in the started and paused for roughly forever category, it certainly counts for Dave Stone’s Paint what You Got challenge.
We’re entering a bit of time where I’ll be switching from trying to have posts every second day to daily for a little while. That’s because I’ve finally (mostly) gotten over my winter illness(es), am feeling alright (if very tired) and have a bit of time from work to get painting between weekends, leave from work and a couple of public holidays. Since it’s already mid-September and I still haven’t gotten the August round-up done, if I stick to the 2-day posting schedule with what I already need to post, it’ll be the 21st of September when I post the stuff that already needs to be posted. Assuming I don’t finish any more models before then. And I’m planning on finishing several more models before then…
I do prefer to have more short posts with just a couple of models than more infrequent mega-posts, even if posting more frequently has far fewer views or comments, simply because it’s easier for me when I want to go back and check on things, though I will of course “stack” things that go together. I justy don’t want to be in the situation of spending half of October posting up September’s models…
Anyway, meta-commentary aside, I finally knuckled down and made myself assemble (ok, glue down) and paint these small console pieces, originally from the Necromunda: Underhive boxed set released in 2017. yes, these simple things have been sitting around for 5 years… I’m ashamed. I used some Vallejo Smoky Ink on these to give a grimy, used look but that hasn’t come up well in the photos. I also used HIPS bases from the Sedition Wars Kickstarter, which were the only positive thing to come out ot that experience. When taking these pics, I found it funny to see the size of them when compared to normal humans as well as some marines. The only model that doesn’t look tiny compared to them is the Primaris. Perhaps they were originalkly designed to be used without bases, though without bases they’re the least stable things you’ll have ever encountered in your life.
These bits are currently available in the Necromunda Barricades and Objectives set from GW. I’ve painted …most of the other bits and pieces from the sets a lot closer to when I picked them up, and it looks like I’ve now only got the ammo crates, loose ammo, little shrine-things and objective markers to go. So if I ever find them and am in the right mood, I should be able to smash them out. See you tomorrow with more little bits and pieces!