As I typed this post up, I became aware once again just how random my output is. This is a result of too many models and a short attention span when it comes to painting. There’s always something new and shiny that has caught my attention and taken it away from whatever I was already painting. Combine this with a propensity to regularly buy more models off eBay and other second-hand sources, and I’ve got way too many half-painted models sitting around. Now that I’m trying to engage with finishing these things, and only rarely allowing myself to start new models (mostly those that fit into an existing project, like the Moria Goblin Shamans and Captains that I found the other day) it seems that my output is even more random. Especially since I’m posting things as I finish them much more frequently, rather than holding them back for months or years till something is “finished” (though I’m still doing that [i]as well[/i] – at present with the plastic Moria Goblins that are waiting on their commanders.)
For the past year or more, I’ve had a smallish pile of these guys taking up space on my paint desk. Bought from someone, somewhere at some stage (or eBay) they’ve taken up space for several years in their badly-half-painted original form. When I started getting into KoW, I planned to paint them properly, but was discouraged by the fact that I only had 10 of them (even my truncated units take 12 models) and worse yet – they’re a mix of 2-handed swords and 1handers with shield. I’ve wanted to flesh them out into two full units for some time, but the prices of Reiksgard on Foot on eBay are, frankly, ridiculous. Well, this weekend, I finally had enough – I spent far too much on two lots of them (though both reasonably priced by comparison to the usual), and decided to knock a few of them out.
My first three Reiksgard
Some other views of the Reiksgard. Sexy red stockings!
To start with and for ease of painting, I chose three identical models – and beyond that, I chose three without shields. Started on them Friday evening, finished them Saturday afternoon, and by Sunday the varnish was dry. Probably worth pointing out that I did a lot of other things over the weekend besides just paint these. Mostly work-related. Yay.
I went with red stockings since it’s easier to highlight/shade than Black or White and more visually interesting. Also, I’ve got about a million Warriors of Minas Tirith in Silver plate armour with black leggings, and so I wanted to do something different, and a bit more “Warhammer”. In short, they’re nothing especially special, but they’re neat and they’re done – quickly.
This also marks the “official” start of my Empire Army, which I’ve been collecting on and off for a couple of years now. I can’t see myself rushing into them, but as I finish a unit here and there they can naturally ally to others in KoW. Gondor would appear to be a natural first stop. Or perhaps one of my Basilean armies…