Sector Mechanicus #6: More Thermic Plasma Conduits

More Thermic Plasma Conduits, today – I meant to get this post up yesterday, but working from home sometimes means that I need to be working and then going shopping for food when I can rather than taking those last few photos and posting up on the blog, so they’re here now. I am however, writing up both today and tomorrow’s posts, as I photographed the final bits for tomorrow’s post that I finished on Monday night. The plan so far is to take a pic of all the terrain I painted in July and August together later today for a personal round-up pic. It’ll also then mean I can put the stuff away because it’s completely overwhelmed the area I use for temporary storage.

With these pieces, I found that after the previous pipes I put together, I had a bunch of damaged section end-caps leftover. I initially decided to cut one normal pipe seciton in half and make a pair of cut-off pieces, but then following that I wanted to make a pair of damaged sections that were the regular length of a “normal” pipe to give me some extra versatility on the tabletop. The two half-pieces worked out nicely, but I was left with another couple of end-cap offcuts from the longer damaged pipes, so I used some of the extra end-caps and the the offcut end-cap on the final piece to create a slightly-longer than normal “X-intersection” of pipes that still wasn’t so extreme so could just add length if needed, OR provide a full T or X-intersection. As a little bonue, I also painted all of the little lights on the broken sections in red, because a broken pipe is probably bad…

Once again, this one goes up for Dave Stone’s Winter of Scenery Challenge! One last post of painted stuff tomorrow, then the collection on Sunday.

Sector Mechanicus #5: Alchomite Stack Machinery

Sector Mechanicus Alchomite Stack Machinery

Another piece of Sector Mechanicus Scenery today – another piece of the Alchomite Stack kit that I’ve previously built some pieces from. Though, honestly a lot of my early kits from these ranges are just a pile of sprues and bits in a box at this point! (and GW keeps recycling them into new “kits” such as the rest of the range, Kill Team and so on…

Anyway, this one was built some time ago – at the same time as the three completed ones linked above (and also the same time as the two more I haven’t started working on besides a prime and coat of silver spray!) So it’s been sitting in the shed for well over a year, pretty much ignored. On the heels of the Thermic Plasma Conduits (aka, PIPES) I finished the other day, I decided to work on this alongside the second set. So I could, y’know, link the pipes to some actual machinery. With that in mind, I’m going to wait until I’ve got a bit more assembled and painted and finished before doing another tabletop layout type pic of them.

Sector Mechanicus Alchomite Stack Machinery

I didn’t use the “crackle paint” method on this one that I did on the previous ones; instead trying a couple of new(ish) things with stippling, foam and thinned paint for much of the weathering. That’s the cool thing about industrial terrain – you can vary your methods and as long as it looks good, it doesn’t need to be entirely consistent from piece to piece since rust and industrial decay have many forms in the real world. And yes, it’s another piece for (and plug for) Dave Stone’s Winter of Scenery Challenge!