Another of the Endless Spells that has been sitting, half-done with some paint on it for an Endless amount of time today – the “Scuttletide” from the Gloomspite Gitz (or Night Goblins to you and me). As with the other endless spells I’ve finished recently, this one was started some significant amount of time ago, got delayed for whatever reason (most likely I got distracted and enthusiastic about some other thing – then shoved out of the way, put into a tub and then forgotten for several years
I went with a fairly bright scheme for the spiders here because I live with an arachaphobe, so they need to be unrealistic enough so that they can be on the table with Marouda playing a game. I mean, I’m not especially fond of the creepy little bastards myself, so this works as a game piece. I also dulled down the smaller ones with a few extra layers of wash because the whole piece was just a mess of visual noise, and now the larger ones do at least stand out a little. I also painted fake shadows on the undersides of their legs so that they look a litle more like legs as opposed to walls of plastic.
I didn’t have any painted goblin shamans handy for the size comparison pic (they’re all put away in a case somewhere), so you get a Savage Boyz Shaman instead!
Although I haven’t quite finished sharing my February models, I thought I’d just drop a quick interrupt in here to share the first of my models for this year’s Monster March Painting Challenge being run by Swordmaster over at Path of an Outcast. I’ve managed to participate in several of these annual challenges and they’ve always been both fun and a good motivator to get some of the monstrous stuff sitting around Casa Azaza painted and completed. We start this year’s models with the completion of a Reaper Bones model from a couple of Kickstarters ago – the Monstercrown Ogre Juggernaut – but with a couple of improvements to remove most of the goofiness!
I started this guy awhile ago, then restarted it, then it sat around forever as I tried to figure out what to do with it. In the end, I ditched the silly Ogre half-skull and searched through my plastic orc and Ork heads for something that worked, eventually choosing this head from …I think Flash Gitz Nobs or something like that. I liked the pissed off expression of this head more than the armoured heads.As far as the painting went, I ended up playing with it a fair bit, using the large metal panels as a kind of study of light and dark and dirty on the aged armour plates. It was pretty fun, actually just playing with the paint for awhile.
I also glued down a classic Orc shield over the coffin-shaped tilting shield originally on the model’s shoulder. The decorative skulls I left alone. This pic alongside Chainsaw Girl Berkeley shows us that he is indeed a hefty boy! I actually managed to complete two models for this challenge over the weekend, and there’s also a bonus entry from Marouda just about ready, so we’ll have those up in the next couple of posts…