Another one-off post today. I do prefer to have at least a pair of models for my non-larger-or-hero-model blog posts, but at the same time I like to keep them to the ame theme or faction, so with no other Necromunda models on the immediate horizon (at least to be completed this month) up goes this guy! I actually referenced this model back last May, (was it really that long ago? Holy shit!) when I finished the last two of the Escher models that I’d previously started back in the 1990’s and had found this guy in the same figure case, started with the intention of adding him to my original 90’s gang (which was made of all sorts of models) but never finished.
This was one of the three models that Marouda picked for me to paint when I recently felt uninspired and asked her to choose something off the desk for me to paint. As it happened, I ended up giving him a full repaint, with the exception of his flesh, which I just used as a base coat for this. Not that he was all that far along initially, to be quite honest.
The paintjob ended up pretty straightforward – I just used typical “Goliath” colours and slowly made my way around the model, painting all the bits. When it was close to completion, I realised it really needed some tattoos to break up all that bloated buff flesh, and so I had to wait for it to stop raining before I could give it a protective coat before going back in with the ink. I prefer to do this before painting on (most) tattoos on models, as it makes it easier to clean up if/when I screw something up. Two days of solid rain meant I started to have a little spray backlog build up, so instead, I’ve had to prepare more 15mm terrain pictures so I’ve got posts to go up!
…which of course isn’t to say that these are the last of my classic Escher models. Just that these two are the last of the ones I started painting, back in the day. Now I just need to take a look through my old cases and make sure there are no more old necro models I’d started but not completed (there’s that one Goliath I’ve already found) and then I’ll be allowed to start some new Necromunda models! Which will, likely, mostly be more of the original metals until I can get all of those complete to allow me to start the new Plastics…
As with the previuous pair of Escher I finished in March, I had originally hoped to get these two finished for Fembruary …’19 and then this year’s Fembruary – While I missed both targets, I did finally get them completed this month and once again they qualify for Ann’s “Paint the Crap You Already Own!” challenge with another special nod to Alex from Leadbaloony. As with other recent models, I used both as an opportunity to work harder on painting effective and slightly more-realitically-shaded hair while trying to do my best to bring out the combination of Dangerous-Sexy-Punk of Jes Goodwin’s original sculpts.
This pair were actually much less far along to being completed than the previous pair of green-haired models, with just base flesh tones and leggings with basic shade laid down on both of these. Cheetah-spot’s tabard was painted blue, as were Tiger-stripe’s ammo pouches – along with a green shoulder pauldron – these “Skittles” elements on both were redone to fit a much more limited palette that I think suits both models well. I had always intended to gove the pair of them the same animal-print patterns that they show here.
There’s really not all that much to add here. Despite the over-20-years that these two – four in fact – models took to get completed, I’m very happy indeed with how well all four of them came out. So much in fact that I’m now disappointed that I haven’t got any more part-painted Escher to finish off… gonna have to start some fresh!