Reaper 03048: Sir William, Peace Maker (Bobby Jackson)

Reaper 03048: Sir William, Peace Maker (Bobby Jackson)

Another pair of D&D-oriented models today – We first have Sir William, Peace Maker from Bobby Jackson via Reaper Miniatures. I picked up this model as a “high(er) level” version of an RPG character, which never actually got used, so it basically got sidelined for years, completely unpainted.

Reaper 03048: Sir William, Peace Maker (Bobby Jackson)

With us playing the D&D boardgames recently, I thought I’d pull this guy out of limbo and paint him up. Given that he’s almost entirely armoured in plate, it was a pretty straightforward job, though I did attempt to try and make it more complex that it needed to be using a chrome spray paint to base coat, and then finding out that Nuln Oil Gloss didn’t work out out on it quite as well as I’d hoped. A bit of blue ink mixed with metallic blue for the shading to give it that “paladinesque” blue steel look, and Vallejo Model Air Chrome to save where the washes messed up the brightness of the spray.

Reaper 03048: Sir William, Peace Maker (Bobby Jackson)

A bit of gold on the armour details and weapon guard, bright browns for his leather, and blue and white for the cloth, again because paladin. I’m not sure, but I think I may have another one (or even two?) of this model somewhere, so I’ll have to decide whether to paint it/them in a similar way as a unit, or go entirely different with something like gold/bronze/steel armour. Anyway, this guy was kept bright and clean, as befits a righteous paladin.

As a small bonus, I’m also including this model that I also finished around the same time – this model was actually supposed to be the same character (which was originally a fighter, I think?), though in “Level 1” form. As already noted, that particular RPG campaign is long lost to time, and this model – constructed from what was originally the Mordheim sprues (later known as Imperial Militia – I think) was close but not quite completed. The sword was taken and cut down from a Dark Elf blade, as it’s supposed to represent a falchion rather than a greatsword or a 2-handed broadsword.

Obviously, this model represents when the characters first started off, without a whole lot of money for items like plate. So now both are done, and while not being used right now – it’s two more models into my generic fantasy stable, ready for any kind of appropriate tabletop action as needed.

Micro Art Studios’ Outpost Vents

Micro Art Studios' Outpost Vents

Today’s scenery post is from a “new” company to the blog – Micro Art Studios and their Outpost Vents. I found these in 2-packs pretty much by chance whole browsing a local online place, and picked up two sets. Because that’s how I roll. 

Given their size. I wanted them to fit in nicely with both larger scale games (think 40k) as well as smaller games like Necromunda and Kill Team, with more densly-packed industrial terrain. With this in mind I went with Dark Green as the scheme, since I find too much grey to be a bit boring, and a nice dark Sacramento (or Dark Angels, if you will) black-green fits in nicely for both 40k and “military” feels as well as industial settings.

Micro Art Studios' Outpost Vents

While these pieces most definately pass the 4-foot test, up close they’re unfortunately riddled with literally dozens upon dozens of tiny (and less tiny) bubble-holes. I wasn’t super happy with them, but by the same token there’s no fucking way I was going to spend the time on these required ot fill them all in. This is one of the big reasons who I bought them a year ago on September 2019 and only got around to making myself paint them now. Partly because of Dave Stone’s Winter of Scenery Challenge but honestly even moreso because the fuckers were sitting in a giant stack on the table we’ve been playing the D&D boardgames on, so they were constantly in my face. A good enough combo to encourage me to bring them inside and finally paint them.

Micro Art Studios' Outpost Vents

So we’ve got not one, but four of these things, with an endless number of annoying holes in them. What to do? Well, by now you’ve seen my solution in the two close-up pics. I used paint to lean into the problem that the bubble holes presented, and tried to “Turn Chicken Shit into Chicken Salad” (thanks to Jim Cornette for that one – just don’t think about it too hard!) I added a bit of metallic paint to each and every one of those holes and most of the dings in the foam, then added some orange for rust, and then added streaks and pooling where the rust had run over time. Along with the other weathering it seems to have worked out pretty well in the end, and dinged up machinery suits pretty much any of the genres or games I’d use this with – 40k and it’s environs, general sci-fi, and something like this wouldn’t even look too far out of place in a (slightly-sci-fi) post-apocalyptic wasteland.

So now I have four pretty good looking and substantially sized terrain pieces for any of my Sci-Fi gaming. They were pretty affordable – especially given their size – and despite the millions of bubbles weren’t too hard or arduous to paint.

Done!