Shadows of Brimstone Forbidden Fortress: Flesh Mites

Shadows of Brimstone: Flesh Mites

So I did that thing several months ago where I pick out several sets of simple boardgame models to smash out for the “easy win” factor. As with the Scourge Rats from the other day, these Shadows of Brimstone models pretty much got forgotten about when I neatened up the painting area so I could concentrate on tanks for awhile, and I actually found them in the same Sistema tub that the rats were “filed away” in. And then, basically, I saw how simple they were and knuckled down and knocked them out, starting one evening and concluding the following day – including spray prime, basing and drying time.

These ones are actually from the second SoB Kickstarter campaign, Forbidden Fortress, though I’m pretty sure it’s all cross-compatible. I do need to concentrate on the 1st KS’ models, particularly those from the Core box if I want to actually play the thing, though. How to paint them? I didn’t really like the box art. At all – so not like that.

A bit of googling got me this image of a model of a dust mite. Creepy little fucker, ain’t it? It also gave me my direction, even though this Dust Mite is far better looking than the SoB model that has a bit more Trilobite happening. Ah well, still a lot more inspiring than that box art!

Shadows of Brimstone Forbidden Fortress: Flesh Mites, Reaper 50153: Berkeley, Zombie Survivor

I picked out the “barnacles” on their carapace in a bone colour since that adds visual interest, and used Contast over a pale flesh for the tentacles for a stereotypical slimy pink, because tentacles. As per usual, my chief Monster Hunter – Chainsaw Girl Berkeley makes an appearance for size-comparison purposes as well as providing an excuse to see the models’ backsides!

We’re in the final stages of my January models, so this is very much another set down for Dave Stone’s current Paint What You Got challenge. One more (crossover) post for Jan, then the January wrap, then into February’s stuff that I’ve just started to finish…

Shadows of Brimstone: Scourge Rats

Shadows of Brimstone: Scourge Rats

Some more Shadows of Brimstone models today after quite awhile away from them. While my main focus on SoB models when I paint them will (try) to be getting the Core Set models painted, so we can actually play the game, I have a few other sets that (mostly) arrived on loose sprues and have been started in some way or another which I will also attempt to get done and dusted – these Scourge Rats had been removed from sprue, clened up, had their integral kidney bases clipped down and then stuck down to 30mm bases with some putty added to a few of them. Oh, and then they got lost at least twice.

So when I found them the other day while looking for something else completely, I decided to just knuckle down and get them done. No fancy paintjobs or special levels of care for these – they’re low-tier trash-mob monopose enemies from a boardgame. I’ll save my time and energy for more important models, so getting them to the point of looking good on a tabletop was all I needed here.

Shadows of Brimstone: Scourge Rats. Reaper Berkerly, Chainsaw Girl

Glued the ones that had p[opped off the bases back down, added a mud texture paste in a couple of layers to all of them, sprayed black, drybrushed the base back up, and then drybrushed the rats in several layers until picking out the tails and other details, some washes and contrast, and done. Table-worthy models that will look good in context without taking too long to get painted. Win!

As a bonus, Chainsaw Girl Berkerly makes her first size-comparison cameo of 2022.