Reiksgard Foot Knights, 2021 Edition.

Reiksgard Foot Knights

At the start of January, I was trying to make myself work on some Space Marines, but I got distracted by the models laying at the bottom of the jar of isopropyl I keep on my painting desk for brush cleaning. They were naturally submerged there for paint stripping, They’d been out for scrubbing at least once before, but they were – to be blunt – forgotten about in the murky fluid. So I noticed them for reasons I will discuss in another post and fished them out, gave them another scrub, and then decided to smash my way through painting them. After all, these were the last ones to get done from all of my Reisgard, and there’s always that satisfaction that we glean from finishing the last of something, right?

The negative to this, though – was the fact that the shields on the six of seven models in this batch would actually be the last of my old-school heater shields. The way I see it is that things like shields, decals and bases are resoources for completing figures. We want to get the figures done, but we don’t want to run out of shields or bases of a certain type or size. With bases and (most) decals it’s not such a problem. We can always buy more bases, we can usually buy more decals (or print them ourselves in many cases). But shields. Especially specific shields. They can be a lot harder to come by. Still. Getting the last Reiksgard done was a worthwhile use of them! And once again,  these models go toward my tally for Dave Stone’s Paint What You Got Challenge.

Reiksgard Foot Knights

A week or so ago, I finally got off my arse and went outside to photograph almost all of the models I’d painted so far in January. I also thought that since I’d finally completed the last Reiksgard, a group shot would be in order. Turns out I only had 21 of them, and for unit purposes in KoW I’d like to get at least 24 in total, including a standard bearer, so I guessed I’d have to try and find another three (or more). Ideally two with greatswords to get around the shield issue, and one more to convert into a standard bearer.

And then about 2 days ago, while poking around in a tub next to one of my toolboxes looking for hex keys, I found this….

Well, I won’t need to find three more models, nor a standard bearer. On the other hand, I now need to find six more of those shields…

ORC1 Oldhammer Warrior Orcs (1987?)

ORC1 Oldhammer Warrior Orcs (1987)

One thing about the various models that we call “Oldhammer” is when looking for them in the old catalogues, there’s an awful lot of them that just aren’t listed in various catalogues. This guy is one of those. After a bit of digging around, I found a model that this guy is a variation of – “Mannik” of the ORC1 range, as shown in the 1987 Citadel Compendium. So given the way things worked back then, it only makes sense that this model was sculpted and released alongside. It’s certainly got the weird, malformed, and horrible-to-paint face that quite a few of Kev Adams’ earlier orcs had before he refined and stuck with the orc look that has remained today through any number of Citadel’s sculptors and even games companies (hello, Blizzard!)

ORC1 Oldhammer Warrior Orcs (1987)

The interesting thing (to me) is that the model on the left was originally painted by me back in the 90’s, along with the shield of the guy on the right. Basically, a couple of years ago I found my original model rotting in a figure case, and decided to rebase him and touch him up just a little. At the same time, I started a “new” version of the same model in something closer to my current style. Except.. in fixing up the original, his orc-face shield popped off. And then various combinations of the two models and the original shield fell in and out of the black hole that apparently exists on and around my painting area, eventually resulting in the newly-painted model having the original shield glued onto it, and the old model having the newer shield glued onto it as I found them and tried to finish off both models for the final time this month.

So now they’re both finished, but truth be told – and especially sitting here looking at the images as I write this, I’m not happy with the new (our left) shield. I think the original one really aces it. I’m going to have to go in again and fix up that newer shield.

I’ll update in some form once I’ve done that…