Warhammer Quest Blackstone Fortress: UR-025 – Man of Iron

Warhammer Quest Blackstone Fortress: UR-025 - Man of Iron

Another shift in gears for today’s post – we have the first of my Blackstone Fortress models painted – UR-025, the “Man of Iron“. No prizes for guessing why I went with something other than the “official” scheme, nor where I took inspiration from. As it happens, the Red, Gold and Black also work well to fit in with old UR’s cover story of Mechanicus/Mechanicum allegiance.

Warhammer Quest Blackstone Fortress: UR-025 - Man of Iron

I started this model over a year ago, but being a newer GW model it’s one that kinda wants to be painted in sub-assemblies, which sucks for a board game model. Unfortunately, while trying to get in there behind his right arm, I ended up snapping the whole arm off – which did wonders for my enthusiasm.

Warhammer Quest Blackstone Fortress: UR-025 - Man of Iron

At that pont, it ended up being one of those models that just sits on the paint desk for months and months, glaring at me while I glare back at them. So when I finished (or paused) my recent hardcore run of painting Zombies and Zombicide models, I decided to get this damned thing finished finally – along with a few other models that will be shown in the next few posts.

Warhammer Quest Blackstone Fortress: UR-025 - Man of Iron

I do have another of this sculpt, and so when I get around to painting it I may well go with the “official” version as an alternate. For now, I’m happy to have completed this model and we’re one closer to being able to one day actually play Blackstone Fortress! Being a model that’s been in the started and paused for roughly forever category, it certainly counts for Dave Stone’s Paint what You Got challenge.

Kill Team: Pariah Nexus – Necron “Barrels” and “Crates”

Kill Team: Pariah Nexus - Necron "Barrels"

Today I have some scatter terrain of sorts from the recent Boxed Kill Team expansion of “Pariah Nexus”. Truth be told these are pretty uninspiring little bits and I doubt I would even have gotten started on them if not for the fact that marouda and I decided to have a game of Assasinorum: Execution Force the other week. Having bought this particular Games Workshop boxed game back on release in 2015 for its intended purpose (discount model delivery system for the new plastic Assassin models), I’d never actually gotten around to playing it. In fact, while the Chaos Space Marines had actually been painted, the cultists had been put away in with other platic cultist sprues and the actual Assassins and Chaos Lord/Socreror frame had all been “lost” until I happened to find them by chance this week while cleaning up under the paint desk.

So it was metal Assassins, both completed and part-painted, Chaos Space Marines, A half-painted Iron Warrior hero in Terminator Armour, and a selection of metal Imperial/Chaos Cultists and WarZone Dark Legion zombified troopers who were selected. And with a “fuck this, I’m not reading new rules at 9pm, let’s go inside and play Far Cry for an hour and we can get back to this tomorrow night or the day after.” – that led me to select some bits that had broken loose from the Pariah nexus sprue to quickly paint to fill the red-square impassable space spots on the Execution Force board. if you’ve played Imperial Assault, you’ll know them well.

Kill Team: Pariah Nexus - Necron "Crates"

So with that, I quickly knocked out 7 or 8 of the single-square crates and barrels in an evening and part of a morning. Being of unlimited creativity, I followed the box art, since I would like them to fit in with the actual Pariah Nexus board, and even in these green tones they fit the board art of Execution Force pretty well. Since the first batch was pretty easy, I clipped a second bunch off a few days later and then also forced myself to knock them out as well. They’re pretty easy, but also pretty tedious to do. Mostly drybrushed, with the metal picked out and washed, and the crystals painted in VMC Ivory with Citadel Tesseract Glow over the top. That’s the newer Contrast paint that’s sold as part of their technical paint line so they can sell you a smaller pot of it.

Kill Team: Pariah Nexus - Necron "Barrels" and "Crates"

I’ve got a few (17) more of these to go, and then there are four doors from the set. Then there’s another entire set of two sprues, so I’m still trying to decide if I should paint the second set identically, so they’re all one nice consistent set, or if I should paint the second set in copper-brass tones – which would basically match the “New” official GW Necron colour scheme – that coincidently is pretty much exactly how I’d always pictured painting my own Necrons instead of T-800-silver – but never got around to doing any.

Oh, and this is another set of model bits for Ann’s second annual “Paint the Crap You Already Own!” challenge…