I have the final piece of this first wave of my Mechanicus Terrain this evening. A piece based on the core of the same pieces as the first one. And of course, the “family photo”, as I’m about to become much busier on Monday, which will slow down my production again no doubt.
As you can see, this piece has a mixture of the techniques used on both of the previous ones. The same “off-white” scheme as the dome, with the grime streaking combined with the rust effect, occasional bit of model-gouging and chipped paint of the first piece. I’ve also managed to get the crackle paint to work properly on this one as well, which gives the chipped paint a nicer, worn effect.
I still have three more “test” Mechanicus pieces that are still WIP, and they’ll have to be my “second wave” of models for these, as I need to clean up where I was working on them now – and none of them are particularly far along. I’m pretty happy with this one overall, but I feel like I also need to mix up the colours further. I’m not going to “skittles” these things, but a bit of Necromunda blue and Industrial Green for some of these pieces I think will work well enough. The trick will be simply to deploy them in “clusters” of the same colour as often as possible, so they look like a cohesive collection of machinery/objects in different areas of the table rather than the mess that will be if I mix them. I’ll probably have to have a few “silver/metal” pieces that I can use to unify everything and intersperse with the coloured pieces.
As with the first piece of this Mechanicus Terrain, this piece served(serves?) as one of my initial tests – as does the one that will follow this, and the other three that are still WIP. I wasn’t so sure about this piece, so I decided to mount it on a base for extra stability – in this case, an old CD. I guess the drawback of the base is that the piece becomes that little bit less versatile, as it’s now a bit harder to stick on top of a larger piece. With my luck, it’d just get knocked off the table and end up shattering anyway!
The photos are a bit higher-contrast than IRL, as the base colour of the panels is a light, cream-toned off-white. I thought it’d look good with this as a base, and then given the whole “streaky grime” treatment with that Vallejo Wash, rather than going with the chipped paint look. This kind of “painted” look to the machinery and terrain obviously takes a lot longer than going with bare or rusted metal, so I’m not entirely sure how I will proceed in future once I get past the test pieces that have been started. I do like/prefer this kind of look, but the time investment is pretty huge by comparison. I’ve got one more piece done similarly to this one, with the “cracked/chipped paint” thing from the previous one happening as well, as well as another medium and two larger pieces still in the “metal” stage before I get to assembling any more of this stuff – so I guess I don’t have to worry about deciding too quickly now…
As part of February’s terrain challenge, I’d hoped to get a ton of Sector Mechanicus terrain done. Clearly, that hasn’t happened, but I have gotten a few smaller test pieces done so far. Here’s the first one I completed. I used the crackle medium again, to see what kinds of effects I could get on this stuff after the recent Ork debris pieces. I also used some Ryza Rust to give some texture to the rust effects in spots. I also used different washes to add to both the rusted and grimy effects (thanks to Dave Kay for the heads-up on those 200ml Vallejo Wash jars!)
On the downside, the spray cans weren’t especially kind to the test pieces that I worked on, with some puckering occurring here and there on some of the pieces (my own damn fault – don’t prime heavy at night!), and I’m not entirely happy with the “speckled” effects of the different layers of the metallic sprays. Even though it’s a bit nitpicky, it’s just something for me to be aware of. On grungy terrain pieces like this one, it all fits in well enough and passes for good enough.