Last year I did one of these Confrontation Hill Ruins in a desert scheme to match my desert mat. Not too much later than that, I started on another of them, going for the “brown dirt and flock” temperate scheme I use on my bases, which will probably see use on my green grass mat. This time I glued sand to the surface of the “dirt” in order to give it the same texture and look as my models. When I took a months-long hiatus from painting last year, it sat unfinished for several months until a few weeks ago. There’s really nothing too exciting here, excepting the fact that I finally finished it, and I’ve decided to show off all of this year’s painted/completed items.
I did use weathering powders again here, but much more subtly than on the Desert Hill. Obviously the Desert-painted hill looks far nicer on the Desert mat, but the brown dirt should fit in much more nicely on the Grass mat than the Desert Hill. Why didn’t I photograph them on the grass mat? Because I was taking a bunch of other photos at the same time (like last post’s Ogres) and it basically didn’t occur to me at the time. Still, it will work nicely across a large variety of games, so job’s a good’un.
I really like both. I think you caught well the different environments. I could see the temperate piece to look even better if you would add some mushrooms, roots and maybe some moss. Just to give it more of an overgrown ruin look.
Now that is a bloody good idea. I’ll skip the mushrooms, and the roots (they’d need something to intergrate with, like a tree) but I have some climbing ivy-stuff around somewhere that would look good starting to overgrow part of the stone. I just need to make sure it doesn’t interfere with the game-ability of the piece.
Pingback: Azazel’s Bits Box: 2015: The Year in Review | Azazel's Bitz Box.