“GorkaMorka Junk Piles” Mostly-Scratchbuilt Scenery

These three pieces of terrain were something I was inspired to build way back after building my cardstock GorkaMorka fort, sometime between the game’s release in 1997 and about 2010 when I had to move from the place where I had my desert mat set up. The fort turned out really quite well for the time, based on a large piece of thick card with a few bits of additional plastic kit and random stuff added for extra detail. I should take some pics and post it up here, really. Maybe when I do my next Ork army showcase…

Anyway, the first part, where I stuck things to the card worked pretty well. The second part, where I stuck sand to the bases was ..okay. I used sand that was much too coarse, much oif which can still be seen on these. The third part, where i added thinned paint to base coat the sand was when the real disaster hit, and as you can see, warping was a pretty severe consequence. This led to them being pretty much abandoned until, well, last week. After I finished the “Dug-in Tank” that was sitting on the side of the games table, I brought these three pieces in, as they were also sitting on the games table with the vague plan to finish them, well… sometime.

The parts used are a mixture of spare GW parts (tank wheels & tracks, some regular buggy/bike wheels and parts, oil drums) parts from a 1:48-ish scale die-cast 4×4, plasticard of different types, and a lot of bits and pieces from various old broken toys, including a few G1 Transformers.

As with the tank hull piece, despite the wonkiness of the bases on these pieces, they actually finished up decently well. Like, not amazingly, but they’re now pieces I’ll be happy to decorate a tabletop with that also work across a decent number of genres and time periods. While I’ve called them “GorkaMorka” junk piles, that’s simply because of their origins, but they’ll work for most any sci-fi or post-apoc game, and even a lot of modern settings in that a pile of metal and mechanical refuse isn’t exactly something unknown to our modern world. Additionally, I now have another three submissions for Dave Stone’s Winter of Scenery Challenge!

“Dug-In Tank Hull” Mostly-Scratchbuilt Scenery

"Dug-In Tank Hull" Mostly-Scratchbuilt Scenery

Another simple piece of scenery today – again one I built many years ago but never actually completed at all, until now, finally. (There’ll be more of that sort of thing soon – hopefully!)

"Dug-In Tank Hull" Mostly-Scratchbuilt Scenery

Back when I was in my twenties, I used to purchase hobby supplies not only from the place that sold Warhammer and D&D and such things, but also from the model stores that sold trains and armour kits and planes and the like. While in these places, I’d always check out what sort of cool aftermarket parts were on sale from places like Verlinden with an eye to what I could do with them. This tank hull was one such purchase, and before too many years had passed, it was combined with some heavy card (which later buckled, as you can see), some DAS modelling clay, sand of two types and some Tamiya sandbags to turn it into a dug-in tank hull piece of cover-scenery. I did have to add an internal step from balsa so the models located inside the turret-hole could look out and theoretically aim their weapons!

"Dug-In Tank Hull" Mostly-Scratchbuilt Scenery

It was roughly painted. Well, I say painted, but it was basiucally not much more than base coated by modern standards. I added some Vallejo mud texture putty to fix up the crappy texture that the coarse sand patches had left when contrasting with the fine sand. Repainted the hull entirely, and then gave it a simple weather, some chips and rust. Highlighted and shaded the dirt, and went over the sandbags in a similar manner. Added some tufts and some slate to make it look a little more “lived in”. It’s a bit outsized for “proper” historical play, but would work well in more casual games and obviously any Weird WWII settings – much the same applies to it’s place in moderns, and as with the piece from the other day as well as the others I’m still working on, it fits in with all of the sci-fi and post-apoc, settings just fine.

Even though the base is still a bit wonky, it’s now another finished piece, and another entry for Dave Stone’s Winter of Scenery Challenge!