Following on from the initial regiment/dozen Zombies that I painted last month, I started a follow-up regiment at the end of last month. The idea being that they could be used as two regiments – or more likely – combined into one horde (by keeping the regiment trays together). They would have been finished on the first weekend of this month, but instead I got them finished last night after work.
This mob has been painted in much the same manner as the first dozen. Some coloured base coats, Army Painter washes (mostly purples this time), a bit of highlighting, then the clothing in a dark grey, washed with black/brown and then picking out the eyes, teeth, bone and wounds. Then varnish, flock, and Blood for the Blood God to finish.
The first dozen were essentially painted with what I can lazily refer to as “green”, “pink” and “grey” skin. This second batch can be summed up as “yellow” and “purple”. After being photographed on their own to show off, these guys have been mixed with the first batch to give a bit more variety. Once I start the third batch, whenever that turns out to be, they’ll primarily be another two skin tones. At that point I’ll do “brown” and “red” (or something) and then in turn mix those in with these guys. That was as I continue to paint more zombies, the overall variety will increase over time. I’ll probably take a bit of a longer break before I do the next two dozen, though…
These models are probably the nicest of Mantic’s undead range – I’ve been finding that their skeletons are far less fun to paint than I’d expected – but the limited number of parts is less than ideal, so I’ve mixed in a fair few of their Ghoul parts.
The unit shots of these guys were just taken for this blog post, as right afterwards, I mixed the models from the two zombie units so far, in order to mix the skin tones up a little more.
And here they are! The completed Horde of Zombies!