From the Painting Desk #14 – Lots of DVDA

Yep, a WIP post. I haven’t done many of these in the last couple of years, but motivation is key! After a couple of months worth of scratching off mould lines at work, I’ve finally gotten a chunk of the Dark Vengeance models ready to start painting – specifically a whole bunch of Dark Angel tactical marines. While I’ve been ill over the last week, I spent what time I could doing simple hobby-related work. Clipping off tabs, filing off feet, gluing washers underneath bases, gluing figures (and slate chunks) to bases. With some less-cold weather finally here yesterday I was able to take a spray can to the based figures.

Round One was naturally the black primer, followed today by D̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶A̶n̶g̶e̶l̶s̶ ̶C̶a̶l̶i̶b̶a̶n̶ Brunswick Green spray paint from Bunnings. I’ve left the heavy weapon guys and Sergeants to the side for now, as I’ll want to vary them a lot more. So it’s just the more generic Dark Angel Marines being worked on for now.

So now the basic guys are all sprayed, and I’m going through the fun of individually sanding their bases while being careful not to get any on their feet or the slate shards on their bases. Tedious, but I know it’ll work out in the end. The current plan is to fully paint all of them, and simply leave off the squad designation number decal from their tactical arrow. Once I work out Sergeants and Heavies (and vary the specialists as I go) I’ll start forming them into actual squads. Which will be a doddle if all that’s left is simply applying a decal and varnish.

Lots more DV DA to go after that. There are still (at least) 5 sets of Deathwing Terminators from DV as well as all of the DA Ravenwing Bikes. I’m going to be busy for awhile…

Something arrived in my mailbox a few days ago… a letter from France!

A little morsel wrapped up. What could it be?

A beautifully-sculpted Rackham Goblin! Kindly sent to me by Carlo, who has been turning out some great looking goblins over the past few months. Thank you my friend! Very much appreciated, and I will certainly get him painted to join my small tribe of greenskins!

 

Dark Imperium, Dark Vengeance

Not really a content post today as much as a SUPPLY DROP! one. – Part 1 of my 8th Edition stuff – the Dark Imperium boxes arrived, finally. I’m expecting Part 2 (Indices, dice, ruler, etc) and Part 3 (Forge World Indices, HH Book 7, transfers, some models, etc) in the next day or two. Don’t worry – I won’t be posting about each and every new toy that I get. And yes, I will be figuring out a way to sell a few spare rulebooks locally for less than the retail price.

With 8th coming, I dug out my DV boxes a couple of weeks ago. I’d decided to finally get the Dark Angels I’d accumulated over the last few years painted. Starting with the starter box models. The Chaos models have been put aside for now, but will make up the core of a solid force of Word Bearers with a few being siphoned off to other Legions.

Instead of painting at work during my lunch break, this is what I’d been doing for the past few weeks. Mould line cleaning! I figured it might be the kind of tedious-at-home job that could be bearable at work in short bursts while listening to a podcast or something, and luckily – I was right. This how I started getting through the few extra squads I’d eBayed before getting out the DV boxes. Yes, they sat sealed for years since 6th and 7th were not friendly to returning players. I won’t go on and on, I’ve made my opinion on 7th well known by now.

Here’s part of the production line. Weighting down the 32mm bases with washers before clipping the slottas off the DV models, and then gluing them down. I’ll end up with at least a Battle Company for starters – probably two. I’ll get to the Ravenwing and Deathwing components later. In the meantime, I’ve been going through the rebasing process for my existing DAs, moving them from 25s to 32s, and needing to build a bunch of extras to bulk out my old squads from 7 and 8 marines to 10s.

I’ll have some actual painted and finished models from the DA army soon. While I’m working on those, I can start figuring out how to distribute the Primaris marines amongst my Astartes armies. I won’t be doing a “Primaris Army”, but splitting them amongst my other forces instead.