By now, regular readers will know of my fondness for scatter terrain and especially terrain that is reasonably generic, so that it can be used in a variety of settings. With that in mind, and an eye to “fill in” a bit of a hole in my scenic collection, I picked up a set of Renedra’s Saxon Tents and 2 sets of Mixed Tents awhile back, in June of last year. This combination of purchases giving me two of each tents open, and two closed – enough for a couple of small camps or one large non-uniform encampment.
I finally decided to get them done and batch painted them during January, with a base of cream spray paint, drybrushes of bone, a spray of Plastic Soldier Company’s weathering spray and an alcohol wipe-off, another drybrush and some brown lining for tent flaps, and then doing the pegs. Pretty simple overall, but unfortunately they came out a fair bit more yellowed than I’d planned. I went for a yellowish linen because again – I wanted them to be generic rather than tied to Vikings or Saxons or WWII GIs or whomever. For the same reason, I declined to base them. This way I can lay them down on whatever tabletop surface I’m playing on and they’ll still look decent. Here they are on the Badlands Mat I recently reviewed.
Just a couple of shots showing them set up on a table. I actually remembered to add in the little campfires here as well.