The last unit I finished painting for the June-It challenge is this foursome of Emperor’s Royal Guards from Fantasy Flight’s Imperial Assault game. Pretty simple and straightforward paint jobs – several shades of red, highlighted, shaded, glazed and highlighted again. A satin spray to finish and give the robes a nice silky sheen, and slightly more highlighting and a gloss varnish on the helmets to make them look hard and lacquered.
They’re not bad models by any means, though at the same time they’re not amazing or anything. Likewise, the paint job is very much a “good enough” tabletop level, and entirely appropriate for these figures. Most importantly, they capture the look of the troops from RotJ very nicely, and were a nice, quick set to paint up.
I’ve noticed that like Descent, people often mark out some of the models with red base rims. I didn’t want to quite do the same with these models, but I did want some way that I could make two of these ERGs slightly distinct without making them look jarringly different. I settled on painting the edges of the Imperial Cog on two of these bases, like a floor pattern in any Imperial base. It’s subtle enough to not stand out too much, but should be obvious enough in gameplay, especially with players looking down on the models.
These would have been published tomorrow, but I’ve just come back inside after taking photos of these and some others, and wouldn’t you know it – blurry, unusable photos for one of the other units. I really am not up to going back out to retake those photographs tonight since it’s dark and cold, so these guys are up for today’s post instead!