So this is the largest piece I’ve finished in… well, ever.
I’ve actually had this thing for quite a few years now. First it sat in the box for ages. Later on, I assembled it, but was terribly unhappy with the way that the entire thing was smooth as a baby’s butt. So it sat for ages. Years, actually. Eventually, I covered the stone/dirt sections of the thing in textured paint. I left the stone slab and standing stone sections alone though.
I had a different idea for the skulls. I covered them in watered-down acrylic thinner, in order to give them a texture (and cover the glue joins!) I also added some filler to the tops of the broken pillars – again – both to add texture and also to cover the plastic joins. I didn’t yet know the trick of using liquid greenstuff to add texture, so when I sprayed it black, I went a little overboard, and then left it in the hot sun to dry so that the paint would wrinkle in some places.
Still, even with all of that, it took literally a couple of years to get the thing done. The plan was to get it finished back in September as a Neglected Model, but now I’ve finally managed to finish the thing tonight as something towards my monthly minimum.
Check out the box art. Look at that lovely texture!
Now look at the smooth, smooth plastic of the actual kit. Not my pic here, but just imagine my disappointment!
I filled the silly skull-hole with Woodland Scenics’ Realistic Water product. Might still need a little more touching up with that over the next day or two, due to drying shrinkage. One of the things that really got me going on this thing again recently was Mark Morin’s work on his Armorcast craters.
I was pretty unhappy with how the textured paints and drybrushing had turned out. As you can see here between my pics and the boxed kit, a lot of the “stone” areas in their cover photo turned out to pretty much become dirt on my version as I attempted and failed to give it a rocky-dirty texture on the thing. I’ve usually been pretty conservative with my weathering powders, but seeing how good Mark’s craters looked when he just went to town with the things finally got me going again, and that’s what I’ve done on the dirt and stone textures. Sure, it still took more than a month even so – but the bloody thing is finally done!
As you can see, the terrain is a decent size, and it’ll work just fine in either of the Fantasy or Sci-Fi Warhammer settings. Sure, it looks bloody ridiculous, what with the gigantic skulls.
But it’s Warhammer – it is what it is!