That bloody post title’s long enough, don’t ya reckon?
This figure is a “renovation” of the original Great Unclean One model, a figure I bought on release, finally originally started about 7 or 8 years ago, sat in limbo, then completed almost three years ago. Nominally for 40k, but with Kings of War equally (or more) in mind – given the square base.
The problem, well, the problems were that:
- I was never really satisfied with it. I didn’t like how I’d completed the face of the model.
- The base. Again, I’ve always preferred the aesthetic of round bases over squares. I didn’t have any GW-style 50mm round bases at the time either – and 40mm round was too small and 60mm round way too big – so he went on an original-size 40mm Square base.
When rebasing, I wanted to keep it in line with the later Great Unclean One, so some large chunks of slate to improve his stature (he’s looking pretty small by modern standards), and as witht he original version, a bit of a gore trail behind him.
So aside from rebasing, I also needed to add a bit more variation in tone to his flesh, rather than just being a muddy green. I added some ruddy fleshtones to him, scattered around his bulk, but also focused on knee, elbow and knuckle joints, with a little around the shoulders. I also purpled up his tongue where it had originally been red, and added the green glowing eyes that I’m using across (most of) my Nurgle daemons. Because of his smaller stature and the fact that I now have the larger 1997-ish GUO painted, this one will be used as a Daemon Prince. Which will also be the ’07 model’s eventual fate when I have an ’18 model assembled and painted…
Here’s how he looked before the renovation. Not radically different, but I feel it’s been an improvement that I’m happy with, and now I’m finally satisfied with the model. Looking at those old LaTD posts, it makes me realise there’s some other stuff I could/should pull out of that series of models to include in the updated Nurgle Daemon force. Time to go hunting…