A bit of a personal triumph(?) of sorts with this post – I’ve finally completed the Dracoliche model from the D&D Castle Ravenloft boardgame, which I purchased in the middle of 2012 and we finished playing in 2013 or perhaps early 2014.
I think this may actually be the last of the monster models from that game, as I know I completely ignored the player character models in favour of already-painted better models by GW, Reaper, etc.. It certainly took me long enough to force myself to finish this one. I think the major mental blockage on this one was due to the soft-ish PVC details and the rather plain “all-bone” look.
The model is actually pretty decent for a boardgame model, especially one from the early 2010’s, though obviously it doesn’t stand up too well to many HIPS plastics and whatnot. Being mostly bone, it should have been a complete doddle for me to paint, but instead, it’s been a model that’s taken me quite a few years to complete. It took Monster March (yes, again) to get this model finally done now, even though I didn’t manage to complete it last year or the year before…
I also built up a gaming base for it, specifically for Kings of War, so I can have it on the round base for various boardgames, or Pathfinder, or AoS, or whatever – or then blu-tac it onto the “army” base for Kings of War. I think I need to add a tuft or some flowers or two to that base, though. The trick was to try and have the simply sculpted flagstones for the Ravenloft boardgame and to fit in with those models, while also giving a nice “tabletop friendly” effect, such as I did on the Ravenloft Golem that I completed relatively recently.
Something that does amuse me in a rather wry way is how well this undead lizard, released in 2010 scrubs up compared to the Conan “dragon” from 2016 (remember, I had to add the Conan dragon’s base myself!)
Two More Monster March Model Posts to come!