I haven’t been blogging or doing as much following and reading as I’d like to. I just haven’t had enough time to keep on on my own blog, my own comments, your blogs and comments. So I’ve been dipping in and out when I can, but I have at least kept up with a bit of painting. Again – not as much as I’d like, but even my leisure time is being stretched a bit more than usual as Marouda and I managed to get hold of a pair of Xbox Series X – and so co-op gaming and painting have taken aa priority over blogging. I mean, I finished this one in the first few days of January, but it’s taken me almost three weeks to get my arse out to take the photos.
The model, then – Reaper’s Giant Snake from the last Bones campaign to deliver. Not the one still outstanding, obviously. This one is cast in the newer “black” version of their PVC (despite being cast in white) and was actually bloody nice to paint. No stickiness, no issues with spray priming, no issues with using whichever paints and mediums I wanted to, no issues with varnish. Now they need to make all of their Bones models in this stuff, including re-runs of the older sculpts.
It’s been sitting around for ages, but I had gone so far as to glue ot to a base. So I did the thing where you see a model on your painting desk and decide to get it out of the way by painting it. I got it done over 2 days, mostly due to drying time for sand and washes and so forth. I googled the look of the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, as it’s got something that looks like a rattle at the end of the tail. Kinda hard to see in these pics, and I mean, it’d work as a generic green snake or whatever, but I sometimes like to use animals as an excuse to practise putting together natural patterns, even if not always pushing myself.
As you can see here, it’s a pretty decent sized model. No idea where I’ll use it really. I guess it works for D&D/FRP games (as does almost any kind of animal) but I could also drop it into post-apoc games as the pulpy-irradiated giant version of the normal Earthly aminal! 😉
It’s also my next submission for Dave’s Paint What You Got Challenge. There’ll be a few more of them over the next few days assuming I can write up the posts. 😉