So after my post a couple of days ago, I’ve gotten a bunch of suitable options drawn from suggestions here, on Dakka, and from poking around my collection looking for cool stuff.
Here’s the first list of nominees:
I’ll probably work on two models at a time. If I work on either of the SigMarines, I’ll probably do the pair – same deal with the AoS Khorne guys. Any other models won’t need to be married together in the same way. Anything extra I work on to cleanse my palette will be from the half-painted pile but with very strict “if I get it out I need to finish it within a day” rule.
Obviously there’s no chance I’ll get all of the above finished inside a month – even a month off work – since it’s December and I’ll probably need a week to recover from a very busy and stressful year at work and home, and there’s a huge, fresh batch of videogames to play Including Fallout 4… I’ll be aiming for 2 models completed, but that’s all. I don’t want to ruin it with pressure to get 4 or 6 or 10 models. I’ll (probably) choose any further models from the list above, plus anything that gets added.
I’m open to more suggestions, but the criteria has gelled a little more:
- No pain in the arse assembly (this means you, large complex metal multipart models!)
- Nothing smaller than an AoS hero or Ogre-sized model – I’m looking to have fun doing the kind of centrepiece models I don’t usually allow myself to work on due to the backlog.
- Nothing from Mantic or Reaper’s Bones line. They’re just not up to par for this. (Except for Mantic’s Zombie Trolls and newest metal Ogres)
- No Scenery – either Big pieces or Scatter terrain – I’ll usually work on these sorts of things over summer anyway and I’ve got a few of each part done, but they’re separate things to this “project”.
- No Vehicles, Knights, Leviathans, Drop Pods, Dreadknights, etc. I’m happy to do a Contemptor, but nothing bigger or more complex. I want to avoid assembly for the most part.
- Theoretically, every model will be a gaming piece. But it doesn’t have to be from an army I’ve actually started. If I’ve got the figure, it’s fair game.
At this point, I’m kinda leaning towards the Marauder Giant and Be’lakor as my opening pair and Marouda likes the Talos – but as noted, I’m still very open to suggestions, both for consideration and for the opening/early slots. I think I’d really enjoy painting any of the models that are listed above, so it should be an enjoyable month, whatever happens.