Another smallish update today. Basically, I haven’t been painting much at all over the last few weeks, and so I’m sharing some more “back-catalogue” scenery pieces. As usual for this stuff, these are at least 10 years old, yadda yadda. They were painted during the heyday of Necromunda, and have been used in many an underhive battle and on 40k tabletops since then. I’m also sure they’d fit in just fine for Warpath, DeadZone, and pretty much any other sci-fi tabletop or RPG games.
This piece, despite looking like the sort of thing that you could easily assemble from a few bits from your local hardware store is actually a purchased resin piece. Probably cost between AU$10-15 back in the day. It’s a slightly rough cast, and I think it’s an old piece from Armorcast – or possibly Forge World – not the current GW-subsidiary, but the US-based company that produced 40k-scaled Epic stuff back in the 1990’s. It’s a slightly rough paintjob on a rough cast of a rough terrain piece, but it’s good enough for most tables. I went with blue-grey because Necromunda, and as you can see, I wasn’t quite sure on what happens to the orientation of hazard stripes on certain things. Not sure what the iron sights on the pipes are in aid of, either.
Once I get past the batches of fantasy figures and terrain I’m working on right now, I may well wander down to the local hardware store and pick up some plumbing fittings to create some new and better-quality variations on this theme. Maybe some more exhaust ports like the above? The traditional outflow pipe into a small pond of toxic sludge? There’s an endless supply of clichés to mine, after all…
This generator is made of an old broken toy part that many of you have probably already recognised – yes, the Hoth Generator from Empire Strikes Back. It’s from an old, old Micro-playset that was a bit broken and busted up from many play hours as a kid (and was second-hand and incomplete when I got it) The main body is made of two audiocassette cases glued together, the box on the side is a random part from a model kit, and the control panel on the front is a thumb switch from a kids’ flashlight. Some flyscreen mesh and a rectangle of card over the top to finish up. Mounted the whole thing on some MDF, then add paint and a couple of decals to finish.