Continuing the late 1980’s/early 1990’s thing I’ve had going for awhile here are a trio of Chaos Space Marines from the rather famous Space Crusade boardgame – part of the cooperation between Games Workshop and Milton Bradley from that era along with HeroQuest and Battle Masters. I had owned both HeroQuest and Advanced HeroQuest in the day, and managed to pick up replacement secondhand copies of both in the past few years to re-complete them. I also owned Battle Masters and Space Crusade, but sadly both of those got scattered to the winds over time through my own fault and poor choices, so there’s not that much left of either now.
Anyway, these three got painted back in the day and updated a month or two ago.
As noted in earlier posts, back in the 90’s I was’t able to afford all of the models I wanted (how some things never change, eh?) and so my solution was to paint what I had differently or uniquely to make up for it. Sadly, these are still the only World Eaters/Khornemarines and Thousand Sons/Tzeentchmarines I actually have painted to this day! I thought it’d be a good idea to give the Nurgle guy a cut-down “hoof” style foot, and then damage his horn. For some reason, I then thought it’s be a good idea to damage the Khorne guy’s horn in exactly the same place and way. /facepalm.
The Nurgle guy got a visit from a red-hot paperclip from the stove and a bit of putty to create the disfigurement and damage to his armour. The iconography on the other two is freehanded, and was done 20-odd years ago with no need to touch it up recently. The main things I did to touch these guys up was to remove the green elements of armour from the Khorne and Tzeentch guys, as well as the removal of a bit of purple from Tzeentch-dude. As I’ve said, the early 90’s were a bit garish if you followed GW for inspiration too closely. They look much nicer now, muted down a little to their “proper” colours.
The Red-and-Green of the Nurgle Marine isn’t what I’d choose today, but was actually a common scheme for Nurgle Marines and Chaos Renegades from the Slaves to Darkness book, and was a bit part of the “original soul” of this painted guy, so I left it. I also rebased all three on the new 32mm round bases, which they fill out nicely and really fit with these models much better than the 25mm ones they lived on for so long.
This blog really has been filled with old models lately – it’s not intentionally retro, it’s just that a lot of what I’ve painted, am repainting and am finally finishing is from that era, and I’m trying to document everything I finish these days. I’m keen as hell to get onto some newer models and some Forge World and so forth, but I’m making myself hold off, with the exception of “work minis” that have simple techniques that I can do at work (and bore me to do at home!)