February Terrain Challenge – Sector Mechanicus #2

As with the first piece of this Mechanicus Terrain, this piece served(serves?) as one of my initial tests – as does the one that will follow this, and the other three that are still WIP. I wasn’t so sure about this piece, so I decided to mount it on a base for extra stability – in this case, an old CD. I guess the drawback of the base is that the piece becomes that little bit less versatile, as it’s now a bit harder to stick on top of a larger piece. With my luck, it’d just get knocked off the table and end up shattering anyway!

The photos are a bit higher-contrast than IRL, as the base colour of the panels is a light, cream-toned off-white. I thought it’d look good with this as a base, and then given the whole “streaky grime” treatment with that Vallejo Wash, rather than going with the chipped paint look. This kind of “painted” look to the machinery and terrain obviously takes a lot longer than going with bare or rusted metal, so I’m not entirely sure how I will proceed in future once I get past the test pieces that have been started. I do like/prefer this kind of look, but the time investment is pretty huge by comparison. I’ve got one more piece done similarly to this one, with the “cracked/chipped paint” thing from the previous one happening as well, as well as another medium and two larger pieces still in the “metal” stage before I get to assembling any more of this stuff – so I guess I don’t have to worry about deciding too quickly now…