The next couple of terrain pieces from the Nightvault Arcane Hazards set today. The Throne and the brazier. Once again, I’ve gone for schemes that broadly fit inbetween the box art and the Balewind Vortex.
The Skull Throne (no relation to Khorne’s Skull Throne) is done in a similar way to the Boz Art version, though I’ve used drybrushing instead of an airbrush for the effects. Paints used were a mix of blues, greens and turquoise shades, with two glazes of green to finish the effect, before picking out the armrest skulls and the latticework.
Originally, the plan was to finish this piece in satin after the more protective gloss coat, but I thought it looked more interesting and a little different as gloss, so I left it there. The odd looking white marks on the latticework were a spray varnish side-effect, and have since been fixed with paint and paint-on varnish.
The brazier’s scheme is pretty much the same as the Balewind Vortex. I guess this is how I’m doing a lot of the Undead stuff now – Turquioise Stone and flame in an Eldritch Green. I considered OSL on the skulls, but then thought it might just look messy. It’s something I need to practice and learn sometime – but not right now.
The other side looks pretty much the same as the first, but it’s a nice little piece of terrain for any fantasy game, I think. It’ll work pretty easily as a Chaos-y piece in 40k as well. I have actually finished the final pair of them, but haven’t taken the photo of them yet, again due to the current heatwave and not wanting to go out into the War Room to take more photographs. Because Hot.
So expect them in the next few days. Speaking of same, I finished the replacement base for my Fembruary model yesterday as well, so when it’s cooler (tomorrow is forecast for high 20s instead of high 30s today), I’ll get out there and do another round of photos – so hopefully she’ll be up tomorrow!